Thursday, April 8, 2010

Personal Three-Dimensional Vision

I went to the movies last week. I saw a cute animated feature about dragons and Vinkings in 3-D. I took my glasses with me. I use them to drive, usually, because they make it easier to read road signs and bumper stickers. Plus, they really help with movies on the big screen. So, I watched a movie with my glasses, and I really enjoyed the clarity. Problem was that I had to wear a pair of plastic 3-D glasses over them. It was uncomfortable and unwieldy, but I got through it. The movie was good, and I recomment it.

Then, it ocurred to me that I could have been more comfortable had I not been trying to wear two sets of glasses, 3-D glasses on the outside of my regular glasses. This was where I came up with the idea: What if you could go to your optometrist, and get a set of 3-D glasses made, so you can go see a movie with prescription 3-D glasses?

Prescription 3-D glasses would be easy to make, and not all that expensive. They wouldn't need darkening ability or tinting, other than whatever it is that makes them 3-D. They could be made of less expensive materials, since they woud be worn in the dark, and stylish appearances would be less important. And, in addition to being able to assist your focus, they would be much more comfortable than regular 3-D glasses which come in one size for every face.

As for the economics of how they would pay for themselves, I can't say too much. For many, the comfort of wearing well-fitting glasses to 3-D movies, with the ability to see the movie more clearly than was possible before, it would be worth the cost. For others, they wouldn't pay a dime to make the movie better. Somewhere between the extremes, there is a larger body of people who wouldn't mind getting their own personal pair of movie glasses. Nerds would line up for them

So, there is a pretty good, market-ready idea, for anyone working with eyeglass manufacturers. If you try it, please kick me down a few bucks. I need the money to pay for the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment